For 15 years, N.C. legislators, regulators and advocates have spent massive blood, sweat and tears to force high-cost lending out of our state and keep it out.
We've seen the harm first-hand: During the four years that payday lending was legal and the six more years that these shady lenders continued to make loans illegally in our state, we saw the tremendous damage caused by these triple-digit loans and how hard it was for North Carolina families to escape the debt trap.
No one wants them back — except the high-cost lenders, who appear to have endless resources to push their payday agenda.
There is strong and long standing opposition in North Carolina to payday and other high-cost lending. Join the fight to keep payday lending illegal here and to prevent the rules from being weakened in other states. Let's work together to #StopTheDebtTrap.
Learn more and get involved: 1-800-747-3207
Media Coverage, Links and Resources
In the news
- “The Dangers of Allowing Debt-Trap Lending in NC,” News & Observer.
- “How Payday Lenders Prey Upon the Poor,” New York Times.
- “Dangers of the Payday Loan Legalization Bill,” News & Views from NC Policy Watch.
- “Our View: Don’t Let Payday Lenders Back in NC,” Lincoln Times-News.
- “Payday Lending Bill Draws Criticism,” WRAL.
North Carolina Resources
- Keep Payday Lenders Out of NC: Weak National Payday Rule Would Be Serious Threat to NC Consumer (PDF download)
- Why We Must Keep Payday Lenders Out of NC: North Carolinians Caught in the Debt Trap (PDF download)
- Sign-up Sheet (hardcopy for meetings): Keep Payday Lenders Out of NC: Join the Fight for a Strong National Payday Rule (PDF download)